Kawerau Youth Council
Kawerau Youth Council Vision Statement
Kawerau is where young people are optimistic, supported and encouraged to take up challenges to contribute to a growing, vibrant community
-----UP AND COMING EVENTS-----
Kawerau Youth Touch Tournament
Saturday 6th February 2010. Briefing at 9.30am with games starting at 10am. $10 per team entry fee. Each team must have at least 2 females and 4 youth between 8 - 18years.
1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive a money prize. 1st place Tournament winners will have their name placed on the Kawerau Youth Touch Tournament plaque that will hang in the Kawerau District Council building. Cut off date is the 4th February 2010. Kawerau Youth Touch Tournament entry form and flyer.
The Kawerau Youth Council is hosting a Provoke Workshop on Friday 12 February 2010. Starts at 10am in the Town Hall to 4pm. All enquiries to Kawerau Youth Co-ordinator Hannah Edwardson.
KYC Tube Race
Kawerau Youth Council members will be put into teams and have to build their own rafts then, starting at the end of the rapids by Firmin Field, tube down the Tarawera River, ending at the Tarawera Bridge where they will enjoy a BBQ and conversation.
Kawerau Youth Council 2010
The Youth Council's function is to get the voice of youth across to full Council. Providing information from local youth that will be extremely valuable for future planning withing Kawerau.
Kawerau District Council wants to make sure that young people have a chance to participate in their community. The Kawerau Youth Council (KYC) has been established so that young people have the opportunity to become involved and have their say.
KYC is a group of young people who come together to talk about things they would like to see happening in their town and present ideas about what Council can do to support our youth. The group works on a wide range of projects, sporting events, forums, workshops and other worthwhile activities throughout the year for the youth of Kawerau.
Kawerau District Council's Youth Mentor to the Youth Council is Councillor Stephen Tuhoro
Youth Co-ordinator for the Youth Council is Hannah Edwardson
What did KYC do in 2009?????............. the Youth Council worked hard on numerous projects throughout 2009, but members also had heaps of fun!!!
- The KYC designed its Kawerau Youth Council Logo, which now appears on KYC T-Shirts, singlets, letterheads and event flags.
National Hoodie Day / Youth Week
- In support of National Hoodie Day the KYC ran an extremely successful "Design a Hoodie" competition which received 109 amazing entries. "Design a Hoodie" 2010 Entry form
Mr Jim Savage
- When Kawerau local Mr Jim Savage, a paraplegic, had his specially designed car stolen, the KYC ran a Dance Party alongside Kawerau Blue Light and raised $650.00, which was presented to Mr Savage to help purchase a new car with special controls installed. Mr Savage is a big supporter of youth and this was a way for local youth to show their appreciation.
Kawerau Careers Day Expo
- Kawerau Careers Day Expo was a huge success with over 400 people attending. The KYC is looking to hold this event again in 2010.
Kawerau District Council Young Achiever Awards
- The annual Kawerau District Council Young Achiever Awards was another outstanding ceremony that acknowledged 118 talented youth of Kawerau.
Hip Hop Classes
- Hip Hop classes are run twice a week with approximately 75 children attending. Instructors are from the KYC dance crew "Unknown Obsession".
Car Boot sales
Kawerau Youth Mini Triathlon
- The Kawerau Youth Mini Triathlon was run in December 2009. Another show case of local talent, with 47 youth participating. The KYC anticipates running this event again in 2010.
- Kawerau Youth Touch Tournament entry form and flyer.
2009 Christmas in the Park and Christmas Float Parade
The KYC participated in the 2009 Christmas parade. Members spent two days preparing their float and the dance crew members worked hard teaching the Hip Hop classes their routine. Their hard work all paid off, with the Christmas float coming second in the competition.
"Unknown Obsession" performed an amazing routine at Christmas in the Park, that wowed the Kawerau Community.
If you are interested in becoming a part of the Kawerau Youth Council.....................
All you need to do is be keen to get connected with your community, and to share in making Kawerau an amazing place to live.
kyc application form
KYC meetings for 2010
Monday 11 January 2010
Tuesday 2 February 2010
For further information or any enquiries contact:
Kawerau Youth Co-ordinator
Hannah Edwardson on 07 306 9048 work, 027 758 5614 cell, firstname.lastname@example.org email