Site Index: A-F G-M N-S T-Z
+64 7 306 9009

Waste Management



Council has a network of underground pipes which dispose of surface water from the roads. At times of heavy rain there may be some minor flooding because grates block up with leaves or other debris. Usually the flooding is short-lived and any blockages are cleared as soon as possible. If you notice flooding please report it to the Council.


All houses are connected to an underground network of pipes for the disposal of wastewater.

The section of pipe between a building and the main, which is within the property boundary, belongs to the property owner. If you are putting down a concrete driveway or path, you will need to make sure it doesn't go over a pipe. If you are unsure where your underground pipes are located, the Council may be able to help you.

The pipes outside a property boundary are Council's responsibility. If you are building, please contact the Council in the planning stage to ensure that wastewater pipes will not impact on your proposed building site.

Some properties have manholes within their boundaries. These need to be kept clear as Council may require access to them from time to time to maintain the wastewater network.


If your toilet is blocked, you will need to take the following action:

1. Contact your neighbours on either side to see if they have the same problem.
2. If your neighbours' toilets are also blocked, contact the Council as the blockage is likely to be in the main Council line. Council will clear the blockage.
3. If your neighbours' toilets are not blocked, then the blockage is probably in a pipe within your boundary. You will need to pay for a plumber to clear the line.

Zero Waste

The Council has a Zero Waste Policy. This means that residents are encouraged to:

The aim of Zero Waste is to cut down on the amount of waste each household produces, with the ultimate goal of eliminating waste entirely.

As part of its programme for Zero Waste, Council encouraged the introduction of worm farms in all of the schools. Council is also working with some businesses to help them to reduce waste.

If you wish to know more about Zero Waste, contact the Council, or visit the website.

What is recyclable material ?
Recyclable materials are things that can be recycled. They include clean paper, clean cardboard, clean tins and aluminium cans, glass bottles and plastics, types 1 and 2 (milk and soft drink bottles). Here is a 1-page guide for recycling in Kawerau: Recycling Guide Click 131 kB,


Solid Waste Management

Refuse Disposal

The District's Transfer Station is accessed at 294a River Road and is operated by Council.
Contact the Transfer Station Kiosk for details of charges, phone (07) 323 9035.
Download Fees & Charges Click 58 kB  for details of refuse disposal costs.

Landfill Hours

Open every day except Christmas Day from 12 noon to 4.00pm.

Refuse Collection / Rubbish Collection

Regular household refuse collection is currently provided by Council on the following basis:

Residual waste and recyclables are collected every Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on which area in town you live in. In addition, your (big) greenwaste bin will be emptied every second week on the same day as your residual waste and recyclables are collected. Bins should be out by the kerbside by 7.30am to ensure collection. For collection days please download and print the Waste Collection Map Click 1.03 MB, the Waste Collection Street List Click 8 kB, and the Greenwaste Collection Dates Click 35 kB, or contact the Council offices on (07) 306 9009.

What is green waste ?

Green waste is grass clippings, tree prunings, weeds etc.
Your green waste bin won't be collected if it contains anything else.

What is residual waste ?

Residual waste is all of the rubbish that isn't suitable for your other bins.

Replacement bins

If you need a replacement bin, contact the Council.

While all residents have been provided with one 60 litre wheelie bin, this bin can be upgraded to a 120 litre bin by paying a further annual collection fee as specified in Fees & Charges Click 58 kB.  To make this arrangement speak to one of the Customer Services staff at the Council.

Hazardous Household Waste

Hazardous household waste such as batteries, chemicals, poisons, cleaning agents and oil should not be disposed of in your wheelie bins. Instead they should be taken to the Council's Transfer Station at 294a River Road.

If you are unsure of how to dispose of a product please call either the Council offices ph: 306 9009 or the Transfer Station ph: 323 9035 for advice.