Dog Registration and Control
The registration of dogs is a statutory obligation under the Dog Control Act 1996. There are around 1,250 dogs registered with Council. Council operates an Approved Owner Scheme which provides reduced registration fees to qualifying owners. The Dog Registration section of the comprehensive Fees & Charges (85 Kb) document has the current fees for all council services relating to dogs.
As well as registering their dogs, dog owners are required to:
- Keep their dogs under control at all times, including leashing in public places (leash device to be no longer than one metre).
- Ensure their dogs receive proper care and attention, are supplied with sufficient food, water and shelter and receive adequate exercise.
- Ensure their dogs do not cause a nuisance to any person and do not injure, endanger, or cause distress to any person.
- Ensure that dogs do not injure, endanger, or cause distress to any stock, poultry, domestic animal or protected wildlife.
- Muzzle dangerous and menacing dogs in public places.
- Accept liability for damage done by their dogs (including traffic accidents).
Council maintains a dog pound and undertakes dog control in the District. Council's dog control service provides 24/7 coverage to deal with dog attacks, roaming, barking and other complaints. All complaints and reports of incidents can be phone to 07 306 9009, anytime day or night.
These are commonly used documents and can be downloaded here: Dog Registration 2014-15 71 Kb, Approved dog owner scheme 51 Kb, Barking Dog Brochure 38 Kb, Change of address 57 Kb, Change of Ownership 57 Kb, Declaration of Deceased, De-sexed, Stolen or Lost Dog 61 Kb, Kennel licence application 36 Kb, Kennel licence pamphlet 52 Kb, Summary of Rights 66Kb.
Dog Exercise Areas
The following areas, which can be seen on the Kawerau Street Map 198 Kb, are designated dog exercise areas:
- The Ruruanga Stream reserve area upstream from Tamarangi Drive to Valley Road, including those areas of reserve known as the Stoneham Walk and the Ruruanga Gardens.
- River reserves from Tamarangi Drive to Waterhouse Street, other than marked playing areas at Boyce Park.
- Prideaux Park other than maked playing areas.
- Firmin Field, other than marked playing areas.
- Lyn Hartley Reserve.
- Tarawera Park, other than marked playing areas.
- The reserve on the south west side of River Road between the road and the overflow stream, in the vicinity of the Water Supply Pumping Station, excluding Pat Baker Reserve.
- Hilldale Reserve, other than children's playground.
- Stoneham Park, other than marked playing areas.
- Those areas of public reserve being one chain wide (approximately 20 metres) along all waterways.
- The reserve off Porritt Drive, including Roy Weston Walk.
- Delamere Reserve (the neighbourhood reserve between Delamere Drive, Vallley Road and Ryder Place).
Where any organised activity is being undertaken on playing fields and reserves, including specified dog exercise areas, dogs must be restrained as if in a public place.
For further information, contact the Council's Dog Control Officer, phone (07) 306 9009.
Policy and Practice Reports