A review of Council’s positive ageing strategy in 2011/12 led to the establishment of a forum to represent the needs and interests of people in the Community aged 65 and over.
The Kawerau Seniors Forum is a non-politically aligned group which provides two-way communication and engagement with older people about Council policies and plans. The members of the Seniors Forum and their contact details are listed in Seniors Forum Members 46 kB
Objectives of the Seniors Forum
- Advocate for or assist with issues identified by the Seniors Forum as being important to older people in the District
- Council representatives on the Seniors Forum bring issues of concern to older people to Council for consideration of whether and how Council can become involved.
- In cases where an issue affects other sectors of the Community, such as transport, home maintenance and other services, Council may seek feedback and/or facilitate involvement from other sectors of the Community.
- Current issues where Council advocacy or support may assist include: development of local dementia care services or facilities; rebranding the information centre to become a ‘Community Information Centre’ which includes a Kawerau branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau and increasing public transport options within and beyond the District
- Use the Seniors Forum as a conduit to communicate with older people in the District
- Provide information to the Forum about Council projects, plans and services such as the healthy homes project to retro-fit homes with modern insulation, heating and wiring and free firewood and left over Council plants.
Minutes of the Seniors Forum