A review of Council’s positive ageing strategy in 2011/12 led to the establishment of a forum to represent the needs and interests of people in the Community aged 65 and over.
The Kawerau Seniors Forum is a non-politically aligned group which provides two-way communication and engagement with older people about Council policies and plans. The members of the Seniors Forum and their contact details are :
|Chairperson||Colin Dennett||323 8917|
|Vice-Chairperson||Marina Peni||323 8675|
|Secretary||Anita Moore||323 8704|
|Council Representative||Alistair Holmes||323 7817|
Objectives of the Seniors Forum
- Advocate for or assist with issues identified by the Seniors Forum as being important to older people in the District
- Council representatives on the Seniors Forum bring issues of concern to older people to Council for consideration of whether and how Council can become involved.
- In cases where an issue affects other sectors of the Community, such as transport, home maintenance and other services, Council may seek feedback and/or facilitate involvement from other sectors of the Community.
- Current issues where Council advocacy or support may assist include: development of local dementia care services or facilities; rebranding the information centre to become a ‘Community Information Centre’ which includes a Kawerau branch of the Citizens Advice Bureau and increasing public transport options within and beyond the District
- Use the Seniors Forum as a conduit to communicate with older people in the District
- Provide information to the Forum about Council projects, plans and services such as the healthy homes project to retro-fit homes with modern insulation, heating and wiring and free firewood and left over Council plants.